Sunday, January 14, 2007

B page done

Well I've finished the 'B' page of my Christmas journal and it's uploaded to the Alphabet Funk blog - do pop over and take a peek, Caroline's 'B' page is on there and it looks fabaroo.

Here's mine, it a 3 tiered layered type of page with 7 tags, I enjoyed doing it but it used 3 sheets of B.G. - EEEEEEEEEK!!!




We went out for a lovely walk this morning round Southwater Country Park, we used to live in Southwater and it was a fab place to walk.


















I wish we had more days like this during the winter, it wouldn't make it feel so long!

Oooh, had to edit as I've been tagged...........thanks Gems :-)

1. Grab the book closest to you.
2. Open to page 123, go down to the fourth sentence.
3. Post the text of the following three sentences on your blog.
4. Name of the author, and book.
5. Tag three people of you own.

Okay, I'm in the office so unless you need to know about the new Age Discrimination Act that came in last year of VAT Notes No 3 for 2006 (which I guessed you probably weren't interested in) I grabbed the nearest art related book there was.

It stems back to my Graphic Design days (blimmin eck, sparking some memories now!!) there are only 3 sentences in total on page 123 so I'll opt for sentence numbers 4 and 5.

The depth scale, shown here to actual size, is measuring the depth of type. By offering the scale to the base of the X-height of the small letters of the first line and matching up the second line on the scale with the top of the X-height on the next line, it is possible to determine the space the type occupies. this example is a 10pt space, but the type has been set in 9pt with a 1pt leading.

The type rule drawn here is used to measure the column widths. Once a column width is decided, the point size of the type will be determined by the number of words required on each line.


Now, amazingly, I actually remember this and I still own one of the depth scales (somewhere)!!!!!!

The author is Alan Swann and the book it "How to design grids". Not a book I've pondered over much in the last 20 years but hey! LOL!!

I'll have a think about who to tag and let you know.

Right, edited again now cos I think I'm going to tag Caroline and Rosie....thanks gals!!

2 comments:

Nat said...

Lol at your tag reply!!

Love your B page, it's beautiful - fancy using all that BG - have you replaced it yet?!!!

Nat xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag Di - gonna do it now.
Your Christmas Journal is looking gorgeous........